Are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches healthy?
For a long time, sandwiches are a part of the breakfast menu throughout the world. They are easy to make and tasty. We can make it in huge variations. In other words, it suits different tastes and preferences.
With increasing health awareness, sandwiches are also getting healthier. Are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches healthy? A question gaining popularity worldwide.
To satisfy the taste palates, the peanut butter banana sandwich and almond butter jelly sandwich has also gained popularity.
The Concept Of Healthy Food
Healthy food would mean different things to different people. For instance, for a person who is skinny and wants to gain mass, a high carbohydrate, high-fat diet would be healthy. However, it is precisely the opposite of what an obese person would desire.
To circumvent this anomaly of defining healthy food, the USFDA has gone ahead to explain healthy food in a manner, which is consistent and understandable. The criteria specified are:
- They should have low fat and saturated fat.
- Should have limited cholesterol and sodium for a healthy heart.
- It should at least have 10% of RDA in one or more nutrients like calcium, magnesium, fiber, etc.
Are Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches Healthy?
According to hungryhobby The peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are undoubtedly healthy in terms of nutrition and calorie. It is not a low-calorie food. However, it supplies all the necessary nutrients in good measure.
When we compare the nutrient breakdown and composition, with the requirement of USFDA, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich undoubtedly classifies to be healthy food.
If we intend to eat healthily and care about nutrition too, then peanut butter and jelly/jam sandwich are ideal.
The bread used for the sandwich should be whole grain bread because white bread is not healthy. In addition, it gets converted into sugar very fast and makes you hungry soon. White bread is very low on nutrients.
However, the whole wheat bread is fiber-rich, protein-rich, and quite filling. In addition, whole wheat bread is easy to digest.
The peanut butter gets protein and healthy fat for you, which is essential. The jelly is made out of fruit juice and will bring the micronutrients to the table.
However, the added sugar may be a matter of concern in jelly. In other words, look out for low sugar jelly or switch to jam or fruit preserves.
How Many Calories Are In A PB&J Sandwich?
The idea behind understanding the calories of the food we eat is elementary. The intake calorie of the body should be equal to or less than the calorie we burn in a day. Therefore, we never will carry surplus calories. The excess of calories in the body turns into fat and leads us the wrong way.
An average healthy adult male requires between 2000 – 3000 calories in a day, depending upon his height, structure, basal metabolism rate, and nature of work he does. Similarly, the daily requirement of an average adult female is around 1600 – 2500 calories a day.
In other words, we do need these many calories every day to sustain a healthy life.
The average calories in a PB & J sandwich are 326 calories. The figure can vary a little depending on the ingredients used.
An analysis of the typical peanut butter & jelly sandwich for calories shows:
- The bread contributes around 133 calories.
- Peanut butter brings in about 190 calories.
- Jam/Jelly brings in 56 calories.
Is There A Healthy Jelly Or Jam?
Fruit juice and sugar are the main ingredients of jelly. The fruit juice is very healthy, but the added sugar, makes a lot of people wonder: is jelly healthy?
Commercially available regular jelly may not be so healthy because of the sugar and preservatives.
Of late, we do get low sugar jelly in the market. In addition, some variants claim to be organic with an assurance that the glycaemic level won’t spike with these jellies.
However, there are lots of recipes available to make sugarless jelly at home. If we are really health conscious, we can go ahead and try these low-calorie recipes for jelly.
In other words, with reduced sugar, the jam can also turn healthy.
Low sugar or sugar-free jam are available commercially in the market. But the best thing to do would be to make sugar free jams at home, using natural fruits.
Jelly and jam by itself, made out of fruit are healthy, but the addition of sugar disturbs the calorie balance.
The Health Benefits Of Fruit Jam According Healthbenefitstimes
- Healthy hair, skin, bones, and nails.
- It lowers the risk of cancer.
- It lowers the risk of heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular diseases.
The Health Benefits Of Jelly According To Marionmizzi
- It helps the digestion process. The peristaltic movement of the intestine increases, which improves digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- It aids the waste excretion process.
- The gelatin is rich in the amino acid glycine and therefore is a potent anti-inflammatory.
- The protein-rich gelatin helps form new layers of skin.
- The gelatin strengthens the skeletal system and has lithium, phosphorous and copper. It helps keep osteoporosis away.
- Gelatin stimulates metabolism.
- The gelatin has another amino acid, known as proline which significantly improves the immune system function.
- Glycine, found in gelatine, improves the sleep cycle and quality of sleep.
- Because of the presence of collagen, gelatin protects the skin.
Homemade Recipes For Jelly
No Sugar Homemade Strawberry Jelly
The idea of making the jelly at home is to try and do away with the sugar and use no preservatives or chemicals. Only natural food can be healthy. In conclusion, ingesting chemicals to boost up biochemical reactions will never have a happy and healthy ending.
The human body can withstand abuses, but in no way, it means that we need to abuse it now and then. Therefore the following recipe does not use any chemical or preservatives and cuts out on sugar.
|Ripe strawberry||2 cups|
|Instant gelatin||1-3 ounce|
|Sugar alternative||¼ cup|
- Place the strawberries in the blender and blend it to a puree consistency.
- Mix cold water, gelatin, and sugar alternative in a large saucepan and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the strawberries ½ cup at a time. After that stir and cook.
- Bring them to boil.
- In addition, allow it to simmer for 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Store in a dry jar and refrigerate it.
Are Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches Healthy Enough To Lose Weight?
Yes, eating peanut butter sandwiches helps in losing weight. Though every tablespoon of peanut butter will come with 100 calories, even then it helps in reducing weight. This antithetical result is because of two reasons:
- It controls your appetite.
Eating tree nuts or peanuts always leaves you with a feeling of fullness. In other words, the high nutrients in the peanuts are responsible for this feeling.
This feeling of being full reduces the number of meals and quantity. In conclusion, it directly reflects in weight loss.
- It suppresses blood sugar.
Peanut has a low glycaemic index that keeps the blood sugar down and under control. In other words, the lower level of sugar will keep you away from obesity and diabetes.
- The gelatin in the jelly increases metabolism.
We have to be careful about which peanut butter we consume. For instance, do not buy peanut butter which has added oil, sugar, salt, and preservative. Peanut butter ‘spread’ generally have these added ingredients. Therefore stay clear of them.
Above all, we should use natural peanut ‘butter’ which contains only the peanut and in some cases, salt. As against the peanut spread, the peanut butter has more fiber and folate (a nutrient that is essential for the growth of cells).
What Does Peanut Butter Do To Your Body?
Protein is an essential nutrient to build and recover muscle. Peanut butter is an excellent source of protein. An average adult male needs about 56 gms of protein per day, and an adult female requirement is 46gms of protein/day. Similarly, growing kids need to have 34 gms of protein/ day.
Two tablespoons of peanut butter in the sandwich gives about 7 -8 gms of protein. In addition to protein, peanut butter also provides:
- 107 milligrams of phosphorus, or about 15% of adult RDA (Recommended Dietary allowance per day)
- 57 milligrams of magnesium or 20 % of daily RDA
- 85 milligrams of zinc equivalent to about 8% of daily RDA
- 6 milligrams of niacin, which is about 33 % of daily RDA
- 017 milligrams vitamin B-6, which is about 14% of daily RDA
A 2 tablespoon peanut butter has about 3 gms of saturated fat and 12 gms of unsaturated fat. However, out of these, unsaturated fat is not bad. On the contrary, it is suitable for the heart. Both the monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fat is good for health. However, even if peanut butter has fat, it is good fat.
The ratio of unsaturated fats to saturated fats is very high in peanut butter. Similarly, it is the case with olive oil.
It is also a great source of vitamin E, vitamin B3, vitamin B6.
Along with these nutrients, the peanut butter also loads 100 calories per tablespoon, hence it has become a great favorite among athletes.
Somehow, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich have become a staple of NBA players. It is energy-packed, nutrition filled, stomach-filling, and economical superfood.
The Advantages Of Peanut Butter
- It keeps the heart-healthy. The unsaturated fat lowers the risk of heart attack and other coronary complications. In addition, the coumaric acid found in the peanut butter repairs the damage done to the cells because of any cardiovascular disease.
- Vitamin E, which is present in peanut butter, is a great cancer fighter.
- Niacin and vitamin B3 help fight Alzheimer’s disease.
- The ability of peanut to reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol helps reduce the possibility of developing gallstones.
- Similarly, the possibility of type 2 diabetes is significantly reduced by peanut butter.
- The high calcium and iron make the bone strong, and the transportation of oxygen becomes efficient.
Always prefer natural and organic peanut butter over those with added oils or sugar.
How to make peanut butter at home?
Making the peanut butter at home is just fun. It requires only three or four ingredients and all of these are available in every kitchen.
Above all as far as the equipment is concerned, you just need a blender.
|Shelled peanuts||2 cups|
- Roast the peanuts for about 10 minutes until glossy with its oil.
- After that, put the peanut in the blender and run it for 2 minutes till you get a smooth paste.
- In addition, sprinkle some salt, and honey on the mixture and process for another minute.
- Peanut butter is ready.
- Store it in the fridge.
Healthy food does not mean that it should starve us. The immune system of the body deteriorates because of starving. However, this idea of healthy eating is very prevalent today, and the whole effort is to find and eat calorie deficient food. However, it is okay with someone who is overweight and obese.
The whole idea of being healthy is to be able to do all our daily activities with the required enthusiasm and energy and to have a disease-free body.
The peanut butter & jelly sandwich very much adheres to this sensible idea of health. For instance, it provides many nutrients to the body in proper amounts and contains calories and good fat too.
In other words, if we need to count our calories, then we can cut down on the sugar or substitute it with low calories sugar substitute.
Simple Peanut Butter And Jelly Recipe
Though the process of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is very straight forward, just in case someone does not know how to make it, we shall enumerate the steps of making it:
- Take two slices of bread. The preferred bread is whole wheat grain bread and not the white bread.
- Take two tablespoons of natural and grainy peanut butter.
- After that apply it on one of the slices.
- In addition, on the other slice, apply the jelly.
- Put the two slices, coating facing each other and the sandwich is ready.
In conclusion, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich can be a fantastic breakfast or meal.