Good mental health means a well-functioning life. How do you know when it’s time for a mental health retreat?
The word “well-being” these days is not just restricted to physical well-being. Especially when a lot of stress is on the emotional and mental well-being.
Even the World Health Organisation (WHO) propagates mental well-being with physical well-being as being healthy.
Out of the two, addressing mental health is a big challenge. For a simple reason that we cannot see mental illness. Any physical disease can be easily detected. We can diagnose just by looking at the symptoms.
That is not the case with mental illness. Even the person suffering from mental disorder or disease finds it difficult to recognize it.
Mental disorder has a significant influence on the behavior of an individual. Additionally, the well-being of society largely depends on the well-being of its citizens.
A considerable number of social crimes and disorders can be traced to the unwell minds of the perpetrators.
A happily satisfied soul can never think to harm anyone.
Until recently, the only way to address a mental situation was to see a psychiatrist and go in for medication in the outpatient departments.
Counseling at a very primitive level hardly offered any solace to the distressed mind. One would go to the OPD only when the symptoms became difficult to bear.
The scene has drastically changed in the last few decades. Remedial actions are initiated at the nascent stage when signs of mental disharmony are sensed.
Mental health retreat is a very contemporary and specialized way of addressing mental imbalance. The idea is not only to root out the current agony but to arm the patient with enough wherewithal to handle such situations in the future as well.
Benefits Of Mental Health Retreat vs Mental Hospital According to WellSanFrancisco
The modern-day mental health retreat bears no resemblance to the treatment facility. It looks and operates like a holiday or health resort.
A considerable stigma is attached to mental treatment, and this puts the patient in a still tighter spot. However, the mental health resort treats a distressed soul as a guest and not as a patient.
The mental health resort is not only good enough for a person to come out of a mental state, but it also helps a person not get into one.
About twenty percent of people suffer from one of the mental illnesses. It’s the best time we developed a very effective mental wellness facility. The mental health retreat offers itself as an excellent option for that.
Tangible Benefits Of Mental Health Resort
So what are the benefits of the mental health resort? Let us look at some real tangible benefits it has to offer in your mental health retreat:
- At the mental health resort, a person can give time to himself. It is a residential therapy. Hence, the individual is completely relieved of his home and work stress. Clearly the only focus he has is himself. Who can know ourselves better than us? We can deep dive into our character and psyche to see what is wrong there.
- At the mental health resort, we are not alone. We have trained and experienced mental wellness counselors to help us. Importantly, they unravel our minds and set them right. Individual attention is possible at these resorts. The counselors are happy to be with you whenever you feel so.
- The peer group is also great support and motivation. Besides talking to and listening to your peers can bring in a lot of clarity, empathy also develops and that helps in looking at things from a different perspective.Such kind of real human support helps in reducing anxiety and manage drug and alcohol abuse very effectively.
The Emotional Benefits
Quite often, the static relationship we have in our lives lose meaning over a period of time. They do not add any value to life. In fact, they can turn toxic and wreck lives.
The mental health resort allows us to look at the dynamics of a relationship with a different perspective. A newer angle brings back the charm. Interest can also bloom in stale relations.
Renewed interest and enthusiasm are a great antidote to mental stress and agony. We have something to look forward to in life.
Yoga, meditation, and mindfulness sessions stabilize the mind and bring clarity of thoughts.
Anger, stress, sadness, and such emotions cloud the mind. This results in lost clarity. Once the clarity comes back, the ability to look at things objectively also comes back.
What seemed like a mess yesterday becomes clearer and solvable.
With a good time at hand, a person can zoom out. He can see himself in different roles. The objective of life changes for the better. There is something to look out for.
Various activities in the mental health resort help rebuild the personality.
Optimism and enthusiasm bloom in mind. It paves the way for recovery and a happy life.
Activities That Aid Mental Recovery According To AboutSocialAxiety
- Physical Fitness – Every day in the morning, you do some physical exercises. It keeps the body and digestion good. A healthy mind can only reside in a healthy body.
- Mindfulness/Meditation – This brings peace and calms to mind. Hence vision becomes clear. Stress is relieved.
- SPA – The muscles and tissues of the body need to be fully relaxed. The blood circulation increases, the mind, and body become more agile and alert.
- Yoga – This ancient technique of synchronizing the mind and body with the larger universe brings a great sense of joy and happiness as it allows the confidence and hopes to build up.
- Journaling – Every day, we need to maintain a diary or journal of all the good things that have happened to us in our life. This is the expression of gratitude for the life we live.
- Digital Detox – The cell and the internet are not available. Therefore, it makes living the ‘real’ life possible. Too much of virtual life has warped our idea about life. Consequently, the pseudo-reality killed reality in our lives.
We can now look at the sky and smell the roses once again.
- Aromatherapy – The fragrance of the essential oils brings back emotion and feeling in our lives. Furthermore, it activates the right glands to secrete the appropriate hormones. These hormones can help elevate our mood and spirit.
- Meals – Good nutritious meals keeps the body healthy.With so much to offer, the mental health resort can keep its promise of rejuvenating the mind.
The Reasons For Adverse Mental Health
Bad psychological factor in combination with unfavorable environmental factor gives rise to a bad mental state. At times, even one of the factors is enough to spoil mental health. Mental disorder dramatically affects mood, thinking, and behavior.
The most common reasons for an unhealthy mind are:
- Childhood experiences – Childhood experiences shape personality. Generally, a traumatic childhood always leaves an adverse impact on mental health.
- Loneliness/social isolation – Man is a social animal. Hence, he cannot live in isolation. If forced to live in isolation, it severely affects the mind.
- Poverty/debt – It leads to severe insecurity, and all moral values are lost. In that case, a constant sense of fear and uncertainty haunts the mind.
- Bereavement – Loss of some near and dear one is tough to bear. The loss haunts the mind for a long time. If badly handled, it could lead to severe mental disorders.
- Bad physical health – An unhealthy body is a matter of high stress and concern. Being ill for an extended period can be very disturbing and traumatic.
- Unemployment – being without a job and money is great mental stress—the sense of despair and hopelessness sets in.
- Homelessness – The greatest insecurity is being homeless. No place to live is mental anguish. It is not easy to live with this idea.
- Alcohol/drug abuse – The intoxicants mess up the minds. Clearly hallucinations and mindless chatter kill the cognitive sense, and what is left is a big mess.
- Physical causes – An accident or bodily injury to the brain may also hinder clear thinking.
How To Prevent Bad Mental Health
There are measures that can control the adverse mental health.
- The nutrients in the food keep the body healthy. In addition to this, the biochemical reactions and hormone secretions are balanced adequately because of the nutrients.
- Proper education policy should be implemented to ensure that the youth is skilled appropriately to find a job. Social housing schemes will provide housing for everyone. A job and place to live bring great mental solace.
- Strengthening the community network will instill a lot of confidence, and insecurity will reduce.
- Sobriety breeds sanity. Without a doubt the non-intoxicated mind can think well and straight.
- Warning signals like mood swings, suicidal tendencies, lack of interest should not be ignored. These could lead to more significant issues. Hence, proper medical treatment should start immediately.
- Regular medical checkups ensure that any unusual behavior or symptom can be checked and analyzed.
How To Manage Stress?
After research we did in Nami In case someone is under stress and disturbed state of mind, the following procedures can help him get normal:
- Radical acceptance or accepting what is wrong with us.
- When in stress, breathe deeply. Follow the 537 rule. Breathe in for a count of 5, hold the breath for a count of 3, and finally release the breath for a count of 7. This simple breathing exercise overcomes the stress and brings peace to mind.
- Do the opposite – if we feel depressed and want to be alone, go out with your friends. If you feel like yelling at someone, go and praise someone. Do just the opposite of what you want to do when stressed.
- If your mind wanders off and thinks about some traumatic experience, use the five senses to bring yourself to the present. See what is around you, hear the sounds around you, smell the aroma around you. In short, get to the present and leave the past.
- Mental reframing – Reframe a lousy moment to a learning experience. In other words, reframe a loss to opportunity.
How To Build Robust Mental Health
To create a purposeful and healthy mind, nurture it from childhood.
- Provide proper food, emotional support to the growing child. He should not grow up amidst stress and deprivation. A happy childhood begets a happy adult.
- Life skill programs and educational programs should be launched for every child and youth. Moreover, skill development builds confidence and purpose in life.
- The socio-economic empowerment of women will uplift society. Besides an independent woman can not only lead her life well but can also support the family.
- Design mental health programs for the schools and implement them.
- Community housing schemes can ensure that no one lives on the streets. Living on the streets is very scary and can make someone mentally sick.
- There should be no domestic violence. Strict rules should deter any such tendency. Moreover, domestic violence is terrifying and traumatic for the victim.
- Anti-discriminatory laws and community development programs can bring peace and harmony in society. On the other hand, apartheid and social boycotts breed contempt, anger, and sadness. Equality brings peace and brotherhood. This leads to social order and development.
A strong policy framework and robust implementation can ensure peace and happiness.
The complexity of modern life gives rise to a lot of stress. In addition, friends and relatives drift apart. This leads to a sense of desolation and fear. As a consequence, insecurity and uncertainty greet life at every step. It is very depressing and sad.
There is a solution in the form of mental health resorts. With this in mind, they have understood the need of the hour and build up excellent infrastructure and expertise to help individuals to come to terms with the challenges of life.
They motivate and equip individuals to face challenges and always support them to build a strong mental framework. Because no one should be mentally sick. But if the stress has taken its toll, help is at hand in the form of mental health resorts.
Visit them, live with them, and learn to live.